Sunday, May 19, 2013

Scarlet Tanager

Saturday afternoon I stopped at Blackwell Forest Preserve, in Winfield Township, Illinois. It is a place I have driven passed many times, but had not taken the time to check it out.  I drove through the preserve with the windows down enjoying the scents and sounds.

I stopped in several places to see if I could find any birds.  I got lucky, this tanager was kind enough to pose for me.  This is definitely a male.  The bird is 7 inches long. The female builds the next and has 1 brood a year. The scarlet tanager will migrate to Central and South America.

The male sheds it bright red plumage in fall and winter, appearing more like the female.  It prefers mature woodlands where it hunts for insects high in the tops of trees. They arrive late in Spring and leave early in autumn.  The Scarlet Tanager is one of over 240 tanager species in the world.

The name  tanager comes from South American Tupi Indian word meaning any small, brightly colored bird.


No comments: