Monday, October 14, 2013

On the Mississippi in Dubuque, Iowa

On our little trip last week, we were going on a Mississippi River cruise for 4 hours.  I was hoping I would get to see some eagles. I still have not gotten a good picture of one yet.
Did see some American Coot in the harbor area.

We did get the opportunity to see Double-crested Cormorant by the dozens, juveniles to adults.
They were everywhere.

Even got to see them in flight.

We watched as this eagle circled around us, and eventually settled in this tree.
Oh, I hope I get a better shot.  I will take any I can get!

I was hoping that I could see the American White Pelican in migration.  All I got was seagulls!

While sailing back toward the harbor, I did think I saw a white head in the distance.  I did!
This Eagle was feasting on lunch.

I was able to get two pictures of him.  I am so pleased with myself.  These are the best view I have ever gotten.

Back to the Cormorant.  They were setting on branches in several parts of the river.  They are interesting to watch.

The closer we got to them, they looked ready to take flight.

They were drying their wings.

Just chilling.

It was very interesting to watch how they took off. They hop along the water before taking flight.


This one flock took off, and circled around the water and forest before flying out of sight.

With these pictures you can see a lot of the different coloration's.
Here I was thinking I had done good by seeing one or two around the area I live.
It was fun and interesting to see them in flocks.

No comments: