Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Northern Shoveler, Lake Patterson

 I decided to stop by Lake Patterson today, and look what I came across, a Northern Shoveler.  This is the first time I have ever seen this bird on our little lake. He is a medium-sized duck with a distinctive long, thick, broad-tipped bill. Bill is slightly longer than head, sloping forehead leads to short, very shallow, rounded crown. Large bill creates front-heavy look.

He was with a flock of mallards. At first I thought it may be a mallard that had mated with something else!

I had not realized I had a lifer, until I got home and started checking.

1 comment:

grammie g said...

Hi Mary... Thanks for coming by my post!!
Congrats on you lifer,what a nice find!! A real beauty!!
I have never seen one, but I know they have been seen in Maine!!

Grace