Saturday, October 12, 2013

Great Blue Heron, Big Rock Forest Preserve


Recently, my husband and I went to the Big Rock Forest Preserve, in Big Rock, Illinois.  It is not far from home, and one we had not been to, yet.  Ron had printed out a map of the preserve and we were good to go.
Siegler Lake looks to be an old quarry.  There were several fisherman set up with their poles and coffee, enjoying the gorgeous day.


This heron seemed to be standing or walking  on a ledge near the edge of the lake.

He did not mind being watched and photographed.

At one point he decided to move away.

He got a running start.

Then finally took off.

But did not go far.

He wanted to let the fisherman know he was not liking then taking his fish!

He settled down to watch what was going on.

He still posed for me.



It was great being able to get up close and personal to this Great Blue Heron.
I took a walk around the pond, and enjoyed the scenery. I got in a mile walk. Once again, I was amazed at how many robins were still in the area.  I don't think these birds are wanting to go anywhere.
I think this will be another good place to visit again.
Mary

No comments: