Monday, January 13, 2014

Eagles on the Fox

The Fox River is souring  with eagles this year. I have hear of reports that up to 48 have been seen at one time.  This the most we have ever had. Each time I have traveled along the Fox I have seen at least 5 or more at a time.

Here are 5 in one tree.  There are adults as well as juveniles.  It takes at least 3 years before a juvenile eagle will become an adult, showing the white head and tail.

This guy looks a bit scruffy

He is morphing into an adult.

They are interesting to watch and to hear.  

Here is an adult and a juvenile.

Two adults

The backside of an adult.
This one had just landed, and was working on gaining his balance.

I saw what looked like a clump of something on the ground as I was driving north. Another eagle was flying around right by there and as I drove slowly up to it, this is what I came upon.  He had caught a critter and was protecting his lunch from the other eagle. It did not take long before he flew up into a tree not far away with lunch in tow.

I  have a Panasonic, Lumix , DMC-ZS19 to take these pictures.  I have taken well over 300 pictures and deleted a lot. Trying to get the one good one is hard.  The blurry ones are easy to get rid of, but it is hard to delete some just because.
I keep trying. I want go down by the river every day to try for the perfect one.

1 comment:

Julie G. said...

How fortunate you are to live close to the Fox River to see these magnificent Bald Eagles. I have been reading about the large numbers seen there and hope I can make a trip to the river sometime in the near future. Terrific photographs of these regal birds! A pleasure to visit your blog.