Wednesday, September 4, 2013

On the Fox River

The other day after my dentist appointment I decided to take a walk along part of the Fox River.
It was so nice and peaceful. I could sit and watch the water travel by.  One place in the river was this Great Heron and several mallard ducks.  The mallards were this years, as they were just beginning to distinguish between males and females.

The dragonflies seem to be quite plentiful. I love it when one lights long enough for me to take a picture.

The Cabbage White butterflies seem to be plentiful as well.

The grasshopper looks so fierce up close.

This mallard is a male.  You can see that his head is beginning to turn dark green.

I think I have finally determined that this is a Downy Woodpecker.
I have had such a time between the Downy and the Hairy.  I am taking more time to read up on the differences between similar birds.  I never was able to get a totally clear shot, as there were a lot of tree branches between him and me.( I really need a longer distance lens!)  These old eyes just don't always see very well.

While I was standing checking out the Downy Woodpecker, I heard another noise.  Look what I came upon. This time it was a Red-Bellied Woodpecker.  He was so pretty

I was able to get a better shot of his back.  It looks like a Zebra.  

This was a different Heron on the river.  I must have seen at least 6 Herons that day.  He was stalking small fish. 

Having a bit of trouble identifying this dragonfly.  There was red on his wings not on the body.

Not sure what this bird is either.  He was very nice for me. I almost think it is a fledgling.

Then turned around, like, "are you done yet?"

Another dragonfly.  Maybe I better find a book, or some sort of reference so I can start to identify them. Some of these are beautiful.  

This is the same Heron in the above picture.  There was another one that had just came out of the tall grasses. I thought it was neat that I could get two for the price of one!

This is the same dragonfly as above with the red on his wings.
I was there about an hour and saw all these wonderful creatures.
I am so enjoying spending time out doors and having the chance to photograph nature at it's finest.

2 comments:

Mary said...

What a nice variety of nature! Love the dragonflies and birds both. I have trouble with the downys and hairys, too. I usually try to measure it with my eye against something like the suet feeder if that is where I see it. I see a lot more downys then hairys. A longer lens is great to have! Every time I get a new camera that is the first thing I look for :-)

Unknown said...

Hi, its great. you are retired and again you are on a right mission. people miss these great nature features and you job bring them the things they missssssessss . thanks and your job is great. Short term loans in usa I read your blog. its nice.