Sunday, July 28, 2013

Sandpiper, Lesser Yellowlegs, or Greater Yellowlegs

Well I seem to have a problem trying to identify this bird. My gut says it is the Lesser or Greater Yellowlegs rather then the Sandpiper.  These first two pictures were taken hear my home a couple of years ago.

There is an area that fills with water and that is where I came upon them.

This one was seen a couple of days ago in a pond not far from the house.

This bird was right on the marsh edge. It was cloudy and this was as good a picture I could get.

The Yellowlegs summer range is a lot further north, Canada, then we are. The Killdeer that are in the second picture summer around here in Illinois

The Spotted Sandpiper in one book shows it summers in Illinois.

1 comment:

Mary said...

Beautiful shots! Looks like a place I would love to visit. I always have trouble telling one sandpiper from another. They all look so much alike.