Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Dragonflies Oh My

This afternoon I stopped at the Kane County Forest Preserve to check it out.  This one is near our house and I have never been to it..  I caught this dragonfly.  Looks like I am going to now have to get a "bug" identity book.
I did find out this is a Halloween Pennat.

This was amazing to me.

There is a big pond or a small lake on the grounds. I think Water Lilies are so pretty. I saw a lot of walking and hiking trails.  It looks like there is even a toboggan run.

There was this pair of mallards along the edge of the pond.

If you look closely you can see a blue bug.  I could not see any wings, but they have to be there, as he flew around by my feet.  Blue Dasher, male.

Then I got this beauty, which is a Widow Skimmer.

This one stopped by to have his picture taken as well.
Blue Dasher

Can you believe, I caught one on this lily pad.

There was a little bridge over this creek that fed into the pond.  It was such a pretty setting.

There were a couple of fisherman. One actually caught 2 that were at least 12 inches long. When I asked if they were going to keep them, they said no and unhooked them and put the fish back.

Who knew there was such a beautiful setting about 4 miles from my home.

Love the waterlilies.


This was supposed to be the first picture of this series.  Why do they not  post  in the same order they were taken?
All in all, I had a wonderful time watching for "Birds".   Actually, I did find a new one, but have to identify it.
It started out raining today and turned into a beautiful sunny day.
Enjoy your day.

1 comment:

Mary said...

I love watching the dragonflies and I see you have the same ones that I do here. That blue one you didn't identify with the black tail is the Blue Dasher male. I see that one a lot here. They are all such fun to see and so delicate looking....yet up close they remind me of some sort of mechanical robots where the wings attach!