Friday, April 11, 2014

Along the Fox

Birds are in migration mode.  Golden-eyed, and bufflehead, males and females.  From what I have read, some of these birds have been around, I just had not found them.
I try to take pictures of each bird for my identification.  Unfortunately, not all pictures turn out good enough for me to even use for identification.
I do record my observations on ebird.org.  It is interesting to see where other birders go to observe birds. I am trying to record the different places I go, which is including when I have been to the Caribbean, and other states.  I have so far identified 117 birds, and 71 of those are in the continental USA.
It is a great way to get exercise too!

Not a great shot, but cormorants on the Fox River.

We have seen these nests, but did not know what bird may have built them.  Now we know.  We have a small colony of Blue Herons that are nesting along the Fox.  

Cardinal.  Now this is an easy bird to identify.
I have a few places I keep going back to, to observe what may be new.
Have also been expanding my search area.  There are a lot of Forest Reserves in the counties around us.  Some of the counties provide brochures of where the reserves, and lakes are located.
One Sunday, recently, I got a 3 mile walk in.  When you are looking for birds, you don't always realize how far you have traveled.
Obviously I am new at this, but have learned a lot already.  Who knew!
Mary
 

No comments: