Friday, May 9, 2014

Sad news

Saturday morning, May 3 at 9:58 I was on my way to do errands. The owl nest we had discovered is in plain view, so we check it as we go by.  You can see it in the top of the middle tree.


As I got closer I could see the Mother owl on the side of the nest.

You can see her, if you look close.
No need to worry about me using a cell phone on the road while driving, just a camera!

I decided to circle around and check on the nest. At 10:13 am I arrived by it to see Mom owl in the trees now.

You have to look carefully, but she is in there.

Better angle.

The nest looks a bit strange.

On my way back home I decided to take a look, because I thought it was strange for her to be so low in the trees.

Unfortunately, I was right.  by l:26 when these last pictures were taken, she is gone, and the nest does not look good.

We had had 15 mile hour winds this morning, and I think the weight of her and the nest was too much. What I had been witnessing was the beginning of the end. 

The nest came down. When I looked around there were lots of branches and pieces of bark on the ground. If you enlarge the picture you may be able to see the debris.

Unfortunately, there was at least one baby in the nest.  There had been 2 small rabbits on the ground as well.  I think the weight became too much.  The nest had not been too big when we first noticed it. In the information I read, it is said that the great-horned owl will take over a nest from a previous owner.
It was so interesting to be able to watch the owl.  I did not see her in the area at all.
 Maybe we will get to witness this next year.
Mary

No comments: