Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Kingfisher spotted today

This afternoon on the way home from doing an errand, Ron saw a kingfisher sitting on a wire. We were on a road that does cross a steam and plenty of corn and bean fields.

We were afraid he might had flown by the time we turned around.
Nope, he stayed there.

I had my window down taking the pictures, so we could hear his call.

The sun was going down fast. These are not the greatest pictures, but I will take  them.

They are a large blue gray bird with a white belly. He has a broad blue gray breast band and a ragged crest that can be raised and lowered at will.  We noticed it went up as well as his tail when he was calling.



1 comment:

Mary said...

Wonderful....I love Kingfishers and don't see them very often. Always a thrill when you can spot one. I like to hear them, too. Easy to recognize their call. I don't know many bird calls, but they are unusual enough to remember.